Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cooking up a storm.


A little while back "The Girls" and I flew to Brisbane and then on to Mooloolaba for a week-end of fun and relaxation.  It was Linda's birthday so, of course, it was her choice of activities for the weekend.  She chose very well especially the cooking class at Spirit House.  Anyone that knows me well also knows I'm a bit of a foodie.  I love food, not so much the cooking these days, but most definitely the eating!  Spirit House is at Yandina and after using Google Maps we found the place very easily.  What a beautiful place.  I've never been to Thailand but I'm guessing that this place is as close as you could get to it.  The classes are held every day and the day that we chose was a vegetarian thai cooking class. Now, as everyone knows, I'm not a vegetarian so the thought of eating Tofu was not something high on my list.  However, DH and I have meat-free days occasionally and I have to admit I enjoy them as long as it is flavoursome.  As it turned out at least half of the class of 17 were not vegetarians and the Chef gave us plenty of ideas to adapt our vegetarian meals so that they included protein.
The Chef was amazing and I learnt so much in just four hours.  I didn't know that you peeled ginger with a spoon (who would have thought!) and I also wondered why my chilli and capsicum always slid around the board when I was cutting them.  Turns out I was cutting them on the wrong side.  We learnt basic knife skills and I am now quite chuffed that I can make shallot "curls" - very "Cheffy" We chopped, pounded, tossed, wok'd our way around the kitchen and after all our hard work we were rewarded with a feast fit for a king.  What a great day we had!

The girls enjoying a "smoko" break in the garden.
All that pounding was hard work!

Linda's turn to cook







 This was the Menu:

Crispy Sweet Potato & Coconut Fritters with  tangy sweet/sour sauce
Yellow Curry of Water Spinach and Pumpkin
Garlic and Pepper Field Mushrooms
Tomato & Tamarind Relish


Glass Noodle Salad with cloud ear mushrooms
Steamed Silken Tofu with Ginger, Black Beans and Shallots

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a lovely time and each dish looks fabulous (substituting tofu with chicken of course!)

    ReplyDelete